Dubai Marathon #2 is in the books. If I can recap this race in one word; it would be...crappy! The best part (and maybe the only good thing) of the race was the ending. Crossing the finish line seemed impossible for the majority of the race. I thought about quitting at every mile post...every single one of them! I'm not sure what kept me motivated. Was it sheer determination, perseverance, or simply bold stubbornness? Definitely the latter. Instead of going over all the negative hurdles I encountered, I'd like to share the highlights of the race.
Highlight #1: Going to the race with Lucero (she ran the 10K) made for a memorable morning. Before our races began, we hung out with thousands of other runners and cheered each other on. Bottom line, I love running with my daughter and knowing she loves it as much as I do, makes my heart smile.
Highlight #2: I chose the perfect running gear for race day! I can't say enough good things about Lululemon's pace setter skirt; except that I need one in every color!
Highlight #3: The view and spectators were absolutely grand this year! Hundreds of people lined up the streets lending support in many ways. My favorite were the guys/gals giving out fresh fruit at mile 18. Plus, running alongside the Burj Al Arab made for beautiful scenery.
Highlight #4: At mile 20 or so, when I contemplated getting on a taxi and heading home, I paired up with a fellow runner. I didn't get her name nor do I remember her bib number. But I'd like to consider her my running angel. She could sense I was in pain and asked if I was ok. I nodded "yes" and decided to dig deep and follow through. She stayed with me for the remainder of the race, making sure I wouldn't give up. For her, I will always be grateful.
Highlight #5: The medal. This year's bling far exceeds last year's...by a long shot.
No comments:
Post a Comment