Saturday, February 2, 2013

My Marathon Mistakes

Exactly one week ago today, I ran my very first marathon race. Patting myself on the back--hold the applause please! It has been one of my greatest accomplishments, something I had always wanted to achieve. Now that my first big race is in the past, I can reflect and learn from the mistakes I made along the way. Let's break down the 26.2 miles.


  • Mile 1: Adrenaline is pumping, runners are setting their pace, and I'm steady at 8.56min/mile. Good so far!
  • Miles 2-6: Still running at a consistent speed of 9min/mile. This is a good pace for me; however, a little faster than I'm used to, but adrenaline is still pushing me. (Early signs of mistake 1)
  • Miles 7-13: I'm starting to wonder how I'm still running at this pace--will I crash and burn soon? Note to self: I should've slowed down!! I was breathing well and staying hydrated. I reached the halfway mark at exactly 2:03:00...pretty good, huh? 
  • Miles 14-16: My body is sending me a loud message..."SLOW DOWN!! You're not used to this speed, you didn't train this way...Hello? Can you hear me?" The pain in my knees and ankles is overwhelming. I try to relax and run through it. (Mistake 2: I didn't listen to my body even though the message was loud and clear)
  • Miles 16-18: My left foot is throbbing. This has never happened before, I'm confused. I'm begging my foot, "please don't give up on me now, I'm past the halfway mark...please!?!!" (Mistake 3: I should've stopped and stretched my feet, loosened my laces. Again, I didn't listen to my body)
  • Miles 19-24: Even though I was going considerably slower, the physical pain was beginning to conquer my mental stability. I was hydrating and consuming energy beans the way I had trained. I didn't want to do the walk/run intervals, I was stubborn. (Mistake 4: I should've walked for a few minutes, there's no shame in that). 
  • Miles 25-the finish line: By now, the sun is shining brightly and it's humid. (Mistake 5: I didn't wear sunscreen or sunglasses) By the end of the race, I had a farmer's tan and a migraine headache. Always plan ahead and make sure you're dressed for any weather changes.
Overall, I was pleased with my performance and proud of my accomplishment. In the future, I will use this race as a learning lesson. 

What Marathon Mistakes have you committed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment