A few days ago, I ran my
first marathon (in Dubai). I’ve been a runner for over fifteen years but never
took racing seriously. I ran to lose weight, stay in shape, and because I wasn’t
talented in any other sport. For twelve of those fifteen years, I was content
running 5-6 miles a day, 4-5 days/week, at a reasonable pace. I didn’t
challenge my body, mentally or physically. I didn’t participate in races or
join any running clubs. I guess you could say I was a highly introvert runner—I
was okay with being under the radar. As long as my skinny jeans fit, I was
okay.
Much
has changed since then. Now, my mind is flooded with all things running. I have
raised the bar, stepped it up a notch…you get the idea. I have since included
long runs, tempo runs, and interval training into my weekly routine. I test
myself, not to prove anything to anyone else, but instead to boost my own
self-confidence. Throughout this journey, I have learned a great deal: I’m much more capable than I give myself credit for. Yay, Me!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment