Monday, March 18, 2013

What To Do While Injured

We've all been there before. Right when you were tallying up those miles and all was going well, you come crashing down with an injury. Most runners, at some point, will have to deal with a running related injury. It's disappointing, to say the least, especially if you are training for an event/race. In order to avoid further complications, always evaluate the severity of your injury and take time off accordingly. Best option is to speak to your medical doctor and together devise an alternate workout program.

Lately, I have been battling knee and lower back pain during and after my long runs. At times, the pain is extremely debilitating and frustrating. I love the days when I can enjoy a long run, but due to injury, these have been postponed. As stubborn as I can be, I must listen to the messages my body is sending.

Through trial-and-error, the following has helped:

  1. Yoga: I've mixed in a few days of yoga into my routine, with 30-50 minutes per session. I prefer the lower paced, more relaxed form; which includes stretching & flexibility poses. Namaste! (yeah, you knew that was coming)! :)
  2. Reduced running mileage: When my running is optimal, I tend to log 40 miles/week. But due to injury, I have reduced that to 20-25 mi/wk. I let my body set the pace and duration of the run. If it's a good day, I keep running. If there's any sign of pain, I stop. Simple as that! 
  3. Introduce other forms of Cardio: Unfortunately, running to the pantry for more cookies doesn't count as cardio. As mentioned in an earlier post, I have been loving my Kinetic bike trainer, as an alternate cardio-blast workout. 
  4. Rest: Instead of running 5 consecutive days a week, I am giving my body a break by incorporating more rest days. On such depressing days, you can pick up a new hobby (learn how to: basket weave, make french braids, learn swahili, or learn how to quick solve a Rubik cube). 
On that note, more to come later in the week. "Kwaheri!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment